5 February 2015
Washington DC (Sputnik) - The Obama administration asked for $9.6 billion to counter the increasing threat from North Korea and Iran.
The US Department of Defense has requested $9.6 billion in the 2016 budget year to counter "a maturing long-range missile threat from North Korea and the potential threat from Iran," the Associated Press reports.
"The US Military remains deeply engaged around the world," Pentagon said in its $585-billion defense budget proposal, citing Russian activities in Ukraine, Ebola and the rise of the Islamic State as the three main geopolitical challenges the US faces. The DoD also said that the agency must address both current and emerging challenges, including cyberattacks, rising China and threats to space assets.
The Pentagon's base budget has increased by 7.7 percent from last year, reaching $534 billion, which makes it the largest in US history, according to the Associate Press. However, the $51-billion funding for overseas contingency operations is a 21 percent decrease compared with the 2015 budget year, the news agency said.
The current defense budget proposal ignores the cap of $499 billion, imposed by Congress.
On Monday, US President Barack Obama
unveiled a nearly $4-trillion budget for fiscal
year 2016, which must be approved by Congress
to take effect.